2016 Competition Classes
NOTE: With the exception of the Youth weekend. Weymouth Speed Week is a week long competition. Only entrants entering and paying for the full week are eligible for the prizes offered by the event sponsors.
Definition: sailboard, first weekend only, less than 18 years on the 31st October.
Craft definition: has a sail, or sails, with a pivot at the base such that the rider supports the sail.
Due to the large number of competitors in the Sailboard Fleet, the class is sub-divided as follows:
- Status: Amateur
- not a Youth;
- has no sponsorship and receives no financial support from others e.g. their employer or local shop;
- and hasn’t won an Amateur prize at Weymouth Speed Week before;
- and does not race regularly.
- Status: Gold Fleet
- has won an Amateur prize at a previous Weymouth Speed Week competition;
- or receives some assistance from a sponsor, such as discounted equipment or financial support, to attend events;
- or they race regularly.
- Status: Pro Fleet
- someone who derives financial benefit from taking part in the sport, e.g. is a paid instructor, paid by sponsors or promotes their own products;
- or has won the top prize in the Gold Fleet.
- Women's Fleet
- excluding Pro-Fleet
- First time, Amateur Sailboarder
- first time in a Weymouth Speed Week competition and meets the Amateur Status above
Craft definition: a board propelled by kite(s) attached to the rider who then stands on the board; typically sinks when stationary
- Kite Fleet
- not the first time in a Weymouth Speed Week competition on a kite
- First time Kiter
- first time in a Weymouth Speed Week competition
Craft definition: anything that sails which isn’t a Kite board or Sailboard; it may have sails, kites or rotors to propel it and only uses non-stored wind energy as the power source.
- Boat Fleet
- not the first time in a Weymouth Speed Week competition in a boat
- First time Boater
- first time in a Weymouth Speed Week competition in a boat
2015 Prizes (to be updated for 2016)
The following are the catergories in which we intend to award prizes thanks to the generosity of our sponsors.
- Youth Fleet Sailboard (first weekend only) - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Prizes
- First Time Sailboard Fleet (first time competing at Weymouth Speed Week and meets Amateur criteria) – 1st Prize
- Amateur Sailboard Fleet (not First Time, Gold, or Pro) - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Prizes
- Gold Fleet Sailboard - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Prizes
- Pro Fleet (Sailboard, derives financial benefit from the sport or a previous Gold Fleet Sailboard prize winner) – 1st Prize
- Women's Fleet (Sailboard, not Professional) – 1st Prize
- First Time Kite Board Fleet (first time competing at Weymouth Speed Week, not Professional) – 1st Prize
- Kite Board Fleet – 1st Prize
- First Time Boat Fleet (first time competing at Weymouth Speed Week in a boat, e.g. could have previously competed as Kite or Sailboard) – 1st Prize
- Boat Fleet (not First Time Boat) – 1st Prize
- Overall Fastest Man – Trophy
- Overall Fastest Lady – Trophy
- Overall Fastest Kite - Trophy
- Overall Fastest Boat - Trophy
- Overall Fastest Sailboard - Trophy
- The most efficient Kite Board, Sailboard and Boat based on speed to wind speed ratio.
Weymouth Speed Week and the Amateur Yacht Research Society award "fastest of the day" tankards and framed "fastest of the week certificates" to the three craft categories. All competitors are eligible for these.